Ambajejus Boom House is located on Ambajejus Lake near Millinocket and Baxter State Park. The structure was used by river drivers during the logging process and today is a National Historic Register Property and a museum. Lumber harvested in the northern woods of Maine was sawed into smaller logs and floated down the Penobscot River to Lake Ambajejus before being processed at the paper mills.
Ambajejus Boom House has many logging artifacts related to the river drives that ended in 1971. Materials from Ambajejus Boom House on Maine Memory Network include photographs of log drives and artifacts used during the drives.
Selected Ambajesus Boom House images:
- Bateaux, Ambajejus, ca. 1950
- Towboat and boom bag, Ambajejus, ca. 1950
- Ambajejus boomhouse, 2007
- Cantdog, Ambajejus, ca. 1950
- Dri-ki chair, Ambajejus, ca. 1952
- Clearing a log jam, Ambajejus, ca. 1920
- Long log pine drive, Ambajejus, ca. 1950
- Pine log drive on Machias River, Ambajejus, ca. 1950
- West Branch 2, Ambajejus, ca. 1950
- Underwater periscope, Ambajejus, ca. 1940
- Through shot, Ambajejus, ca. 1900
- Auger, Ambajejus, ca. 1950